Sacred Heart Parish was formally established by Archbishop Joseph Hurley on June 26, 1959. Msgr. Leo Danaher was the founding pastor. Msgr. Patrick Madden became the new pastor of Sacred Heart in 1970. He ministered to the parish until his retirement in June of 2001.
Much of the building and development of the parish happened during this period. Rev. Anthony Sebra was appointed pastor in June of 2001. Rev. Victor Narivelil, CMI was appointed pastor in February 2007. He served as pastor until his retirement in August of 2014. Rev. James Kaniparampil, CMI. was appointed Pastor of Sacred Heart in August 2014 and continues to lead our parish today. The parish built a rectory in 1953 and in 1983 a second floor was added with an extensive remodel of the entire building in 2002.
The first building to be erected on Sacred Heart’s property was the original church, dedicated in May of 1960. It was remodeled after the present church was dedicated in September 1998 and is currently our Family Life Center. Our present church sanctuary was dedicated in 1998.
Our school began in 1960 with portable buildings situated where the current gymnasium now stands. The parish built a convent in 1962 to house the Sisters of Mercy from Clonakilty, Ireland. The Sisters of Mercy educated our children and provided spiritual guidance for our parish for more than 50 years.
The gymnasium was dedicated in 1998; the Pre-K (4-year-old) building was dedicated in 2005; and the Parish Center was dedicated in November 2012.
In 2017, the convent was renovated to house the Mercedarian Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament who arrived at Sacred Heart in October 2017.